Saturday 14 November 2009

Week 7 - Console Dev

So it's the weekend and time for some more blog updates, to start the weekend a look at Console Development in whats been an interesting week in the module.

Firstly before moving on to new material I would like to bid a fond farewell to MIPS Assembly, after a month packed full of MIPS instructions and registers it's sadly time to move on, an even fonder farewell is required for SPIM the MIPS32 processor simulator. It treated me well through MIPS, it never crashed like unreal, never gave a linker error like Visual Studio. Yes it struggled with Multi step instructions but it did all that was required of it. The SPIM icon will always have a place on my desktop. (Typing this I've only just noticed SPIM is MIPS backwards, amazing stuff)

Anyway onto the news stuff and the PSP has come into play. This week saw our first look at it and starting to learn how to use the debugging tools needed to use the PSP for development. It's great to be able to use tools identical to those used in industry and get to grips with them, although going back to doing work in a console reminds me of the early Soft Dev days before visual studio.

Early next week I'm going to get back into the PSP lab and have a closer look at the PSP architecture when running programs, I'll give an update in next weeks blog

No comments:

Post a Comment